Friday, October 24, 2008

Orissa Nun who was raped tells her story to the Press

Front Page Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend The Hindu , October 25, 2008 I don’t want to be victimised by Orissa police, says Sister Meena
Special Correspondent
Police did their best to dissuade me from filing FIR
— PHOTO: S. SUBRAMANIUM ‘POLICE FAILED TO PROTECT ME’: Sister Meena Lalita Barwa, who was raped in Orissa two months ago, addresses a news conference in New Delhi on Friday. She said the police failed to protect her from the attackers, were friendly with them and did not register an FIR. With her are Sister Vineeta (left) and Lensinglau Rongmei, a Supreme Court lawyer.
NEW DELHI: The nun who was raped by a rioting mob in Kandhamal district of Orissa on August 25 on Friday demanded that the case be transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Her face covered, Sister Meena Lalita Barwa made a statement in full view of the media, at a press conference under the aegis of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India. Her decision to meet the media comes two days after the Supreme Court rejected an application by the Archbishop of Cuttack, Raphael Cheenath, for a CBI probe.  
more
Home > Nation  Zee News
Orissa nun demands CBI probe, doesn`t trust police
New Delhi, Oct 24: Displaying immense courage, the Orissa nun on Friday revealed in full media glare that she was attacked and raped by a violent mob during the communal violence in Orissa. The lady, who had covered her face with a veil during the press conference, was untraceable since she had registered an FIR in this connection. “A group of 40-50 people attacked the house where I was staying with father Thomas Chellantharayil. They first slapped me and then threatened me. I was then taken out of the house,” she said. She added, “There were three men who first threatened to throw me into the smouldering fire. Then they threw me in the veranda full of plastic pieces. One of them tore my blouse and undergarments. While one man stood on my right hand, other stood on my left hand and the third man raped me.” Trying to recall the gory images of the shameful incident, the nun said, “I tried to get up, wear my clothes and go. Then another man pulled me and attempted to rape me. At that time a mob reached there and I hid behind the stair case. Then the mob pulled me out. Some of them even threatened to kill me while others wanted to parade me naked on the street. They then beat me up with hands.” “I was made to walk on the streets wearing my petticoat and sari as my blouse was torn by one of the attacker. When we reached the market place I saw two policemen there. I asked them to help me but they refused,” she lamented.  more 
Orissa nun recounts ordeal before media
Vineeta Pandey
Friday, October 24, 2008  17:08 IST

Says she does not trust police, demands CBI probe

NEW DELHI: The nun who was raped in Kandhamal, Orissa, on August 25 has come out in the open and demanded a CBI inquiry, two days after the Supreme Court turned down such a demand. Cuttack archbishop Raphael Cheenath will now file a review petition.

Appearing before the media for the first time since the crime, the nun said she was paraded naked and beaten up but over a dozen cops just looked on and refused to help. Later, the Baliguda police station O-C dissuaded her from filing a complaint saying, “Do you know what will be the consequence?”

“The state police failed to stop the crimes, failed to protect me, they were friendly with the attackers and tried their best to see that I did not register an FIR or complain against them. The police did not even take down my statement… I don’t want to be victimised by the Orissa police. I want a CBI inquiry,” she said.  more

No comments: